Sunday, March 1, 2009

Supposedly Hives



I went to the doctor yesterday. She said that the rash that has been BUGGING me for the last week is hives.  Of the bumpy kind, not the bee kind.  After much discussion of how nothing has changed in my world of cleaning products, we decided to blame them on the trial.  But wait, you say, aren't you done with the trial?  Apparently, the doctor says, sometimes your body can handle the stress until  the stressful situation is over, and THEN out come the itchy bumps.  She was shocked at the large area of my body that is covered.  Across my back, down my spine, on the backs of both knees, in the crooks of both elbows, on both hips, and my scalp. She ordered $140.00 worth of lotion (thank you Kaiser co-pay of $5.00!) to counteract the nasty things.  And a stronger antihistimine than Benadryl, which I had been taking to no avail. She kindly offered a steroid shot, which I declined.  The sincere hope is that I will be bump free in 5 days.  

4 comments:

Susannah said...

Stupid hives. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the lotion and drugs work!!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

I have had hives a few times after my pollen allergy injections.

I have been off the injections for awhile but this weekend has been my worst for allergies in quite awhile.

Perhaps I will go back on shots, but I took them for four years. My allergies combined with my even worse sleep apnea are a tough combination.

Please get well, Jennifer.

DC Girl said...

I am allergic to pollen out here and I have a shot once a year and I take a combination of Claritin and Zantac. Zantac you ask? Well one of the "side effects" of Zantac (yes the kind you take for your tummy problems) is that it helps relieve skin irritations. The Claritin is of course my my allergy to pollen. Before I found out what was wrong with me, I had hives like crazy and I had no idea what they were from.

Orange said...

Hmmm, maybe the hives are related to my hay fever. I'll have to look into that!