Sunday, August 22, 2010

Vacation food

Here we are at Topolobampo in Chicago...trout escabeche, walleye veracruzano, sunfish ceviche, duck breast.  I ordered a mango mojito that I didn't like and sent back and got a Goose Island Sofie beer instead. 
But the hands down best thing we ate at Topo was the chocolate tart with goat cheese ice cream and homemade marshmallows with sea salt scattered on the plate.  It's all about the salt...
This was the seafood salad we shared at a restaurant on the harbor in Trondheim.
We often ate back in our rooms.  In Oslo we bought bread, chips, beer and that sweetish, soft, brown Norwegian cheese and were good for a couple of days.
Dried fish at the fish market in Bergen
I love my soft serve ice cream cones!  This was an ice cream store  on a corner  tucked into the hilly, windy streets in Bergen.
After taking the ferry on the Sognefjord, we had an hour or so wait in Flam, so we had some pizza.  This picture show the Burger Grill...hamburger meat shaped like a hot dog and served in a hot dog bun.  I thought that was a great idea and intend to try it at home.
Spit roasted pork shanks at Haxenbaur in Munich.
Warm potato salad and wiener schnitzel in Salzburg.
Sacher torte at the Sacher Hotel in Salzburg.
Donnette and I really loved this dish of sauteed saurkraut and spaetzle at a restaurant in Fussen, the town below Neuschwanstein.
Our favorite German meal...pretzels and beer at the Chinese Tower beer garden in Englischer Garden.
We don't eat extravagantly when we are on vacation, but we managed to have some fun meals...from world famous to humble.

1 comment:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi Jennifer,

If I send you my address, I hope you can send me some food.;)